Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Happy Birthday celebrations

Ahhhhh christmas cards are over and finished ... I have to say that I was glad to have finished the extra christmas cards for the family (for them for next years christmas!) I was beginning to become sick of the sight of 'merry christmas' LOL!!!
So now on to the birthday cards for the holiday season - there are 4 birthdays over this holiday period in my family - of which one is mine so I only need to do 3 and I have already have done 1 so that leaves 2 more and this is the first of them ... not sure which sister will get this one!

I have followed the sketch from Card Patterns which is very user friendly and allows for a nice clean and simple card.
I decided to try something which is not new to me but I need a bit of practice!  I used colouring pencils to colour my image - normally I am a marvy marker and blender person (I haven't jumped on the 'copic' band wagon!).  I have done several colouring pencil images but find it difficult to blend but I saw a video from Hero Arts on colouring with pencils and they used a white pencil to blend ... so that is what I did.  I have to say that I am extremely happy with the way the colouring turned out (although I do have a very sore hand!).
Here is a close up ...
 
I would also like to point out the red dots to the right of the image - the sketch had this and it wasn't until I assembled everything that I realised that I had no red pearls, rhinestones or even brads to put there, oh  crikey I thought (so Aussie isn't it :) ) I am not recolouring another flower in a different colour!  so I quickly thought and came up with punching 5 small circles from matching paper stock (using a normal hole punch) attaching them to the card and then applying glossy accents ... viola! perfect co-ordinating embellishments!
Since this is a birthday card I thought it would be perfect for the challenges from Paper Sundaes - celebration, Southern Girls - celebration and Secret Crafter - celebration as well!
materials - AC black cardstock; Lily Bee 'this & that' papers; AnnaBelle Stamps 'squared posies' stamps; Stazon jet black ink; Crayola colouring pencils; Basic Grey brad; hole punch; Inkssentials glossy accents.
Thanks for looking.

6 comments:

Kristie W. said...

Very pretty!! I love how you colored the flower.

CraftLein* - enjoy creativity said...

That flower is indeed so beautiful! It's a Lovely card!!

Love from The Netherlands,
Leintje*

downrightcrafty said...

What a lovely creation thank you so much for sharing your lovely work with us at the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge
Hugs and Merry Xmas
Kate xx

Helen said...

Beautiful card!
Thanks for joining us at the Secret Crafter Saturday Challenge!
Helen x

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful card! Lovely colouring. I have also found that HA video to be very helpful. Great take on the sketch! Happy New Year!

Andrea said...

This is gorgeous Janet! It stood out at the Card Patterns site so I just had to come and see!!
Hugs,
Andrea